Sunday, 7 February 2010

Baby Crib Quilt, Having Babies

Well, another week has flown by.  I've been working on a new baby crib quilt for a friend - well, for her soon to be born baby, not for her.

I decided to make the numbers in patchwork rather than applique them on and it was easier than I had expected, although the number 4 took a couple of attempts to get it right.

I'll post full details on my website once I've completed it.

I love doing baby quilts because the quilting is so much easier and quicker with a small quilt.

I've also managed to make a few shopping bags to keep for unexpected present giving - thank you's and such like.  I picked up a Happy Days remnant for not very much and hope that I'll get about 6 bags out of it in total.

I didn't begin very well because I thought that I would save time by using a rectangle and folding it over for the outside of the bag.  Only when it was sewn together did I realise that the girls on the back of the bag were upside down.

Out came the stitch unpicker and the bags are now coming together nicely made from 2 squares with the girls the right way up on front and back!

I seem to have concentrated on sewing for babies quite a lot over the last few weeks and it made me remember my three when they were born.  Given that the youngest, daughter Samantha, will turn 20 in a few weeks' time, it shows that I'm talking about a long time ago!

When Ben, my eldest, was born, I was working full time and I was huge from quite early on in the pregnancy.  By the time I was 6 months pregnant I looked like a beached whale and people were starting to ask me when he was due.  I breezily assured all and sundry that there was ages to go yet, so it was a bit of a shock to the system when he arrived 9 weeks early.

He weighed the same as a couple of bags of sugar and I could hold him in one hand.  Naturally he had to spend some time in special care and it was a worrying time.  I was given some doll's clothes for him and they fitted a treat, but now he's a great strapping rugby player, so his early start in life hasn't held him back.

By the time my second son, Tom, was born, we had moved into the country about 7 miles from Ludlow.  One day I was driving to the shops when I realised that the steering on the car was really heavy.  When I investigated, I found a flat wheel.  I was in the middle of nowhere with no-one around to ask for help - this was in the days before mobile phones - so I changed the wheel myself.

Not the brightest of things to do, because I felt something give as I pulled on the wheel brace.  Later that day I went into labour and Tom was born that night, 2 weeks early.

So when I became pregnant for the third time, I naturally assumed that I would not go full term.  It was quite a surprise when Samantha lasted the full 40 weeks.  The days leading up to her birth were quite stressful because we had no water:  the mains water pipe had burst somewhere under the fields. 

The water company provided us with a water bowser because of my pregnancy but it meant I had to carry buckets of water into the house regularly.  Any water for drinking had to be well boiled to rid it of the excessive amounts of chlorine it contained.

After that, we decided that pregnancies were becoming too eventful, so we stopped at 3.

Thanks for calling by my blog - talk to you again next week.

Post a Comment