Monday, 3 January 2011

Basting Quilts With Spray Adhesive

Over the years I have dabbled with different methods of basting quilts, always trying to find the way that seemed to work best for providing a flat quilt to make quilting it easier.

For a long time I resisted spray basting because I would be doing it on my own and I thought that two people would be needed.  I thought the spray basting had to be done outdoors and the English climate does not exactly lend itself to this.  I thought that if there was a wrinkle in my spray basted quilt I would not be able to correct it.  I thought that the quilting needed to be done straight after spray basting or the layers could come apart.

I was wrong on all counts.  I just wish now that I had tried spray basting my quilts a long time ago - well, my small quilts anyway.

I can cope easily on my own with spray basting a small quilt by folding it half and doing one half at a time.  It is best to have good ventilation when spray basting quilts, but that means a window open, not having to be outside.  If there is a wrinkle in any layer of my spray basted quiltk I just separate the layers, smooth the wrinkle out and then smooth the layers back down.  If I don't have time to quilt immediately after I have spray basted, the layers are still well stuck together for days afterwards.

So - I'm a convert.  Now to the mechanics of spray basting quilts.  Layer your quilt in the normal way:  backing fabric right side down, then wadding, then quilt top with right side up.  I usually try and leave the three layers lying for a few hours to let them settle down.

Before beginning spray basting your quilt, open a window and lay newspaper down on the area where you will be working.  Lay the quilt on top of the newspaper,

When you are ready to begin spray basting, peel back the quilt top and wadding to half way so that just the backing fabric is exposed.  Spray from about 10" away in a general zigzag pattern.  You don't want to saturate the fabric - just enough for the adhesive to be able to work.  Lay the wadding down on top of the backing fabric and smooth gently from the middle to the border.  If you find a wrinkle just lift the wadding, smooth the wrinkle and put the wadding back down again.

Spray baste the top of the wadding in the same way and smooth the quilt top down over it.

Turn the quilt around to the other half that you have not spray basted, peel back the wadding and quilt top and repeat the process.  Leave for half an hour or so and your quilt will be ready for quilting.

I haven't been as successful with spray basting large quilts but I think it would work just as well provided that you had someone to help straighten out the layers of quilt.

Sometimes it's easier to follow on video:



Thanks for visiting my blog.
You'll find more ideas for beginner quilting at Ludlow Quilt and Sew Beginner Quilting.
Rose
Post a Comment