Monday, 13 June 2011

African Drawings Quilt

Usually with quilts I use the patchwork design to be the focus of the quilt, but occasionally I come across a fabric that is so beautiful that it needs to be the focus of the quilt in its own right.  Actually, if I am honest, sometimes it's so beautiful that I'm afraid to cut into it and it lies in my fabric stash for ages.




That's sort of what happened to the African Drawings fabric that I was sent from Zimbabwe.  I waited ages before I used it because I couldn't decide on the best way to display it.  This week I finally took the plunge and I'm quite pleased with the way it has turned out.

It's not cotton fabric - some sort of synthetic fabric, I think.  It would have been really difficult to make a traditional patchwork quilt because the fabric would have been sliding all over the place so I used strips surrounded by brown and black fabric to showcase it.  I felt that I wanted large strips of the fabric rather than using it in a bag or a cushion where you wouldn't be able to see the full design on the fabric.





Quilting would obviously have been just as much of a problem, so I meander quilted the brown fabric but just put a swirl up the middle of the African fabric strip to hold everything in place.







Now that it's done I love it.  I hope you like it too. 
Thanks for visiting my blog.

Post a Comment