Sunday, 5 June 2011

Nine Patch Quilts and Flying Geese

Oh dear - bit of a long break from my blog, but now I'm back and raring to go.

The Malvern Quilts UK spring show was as delightful as ever.  So many quilts to see, so much talent on display .....
I find that when I'm frantically busy, as I have been over these past few months, that it's easy to miss a quilt exhibition by  forgetting just when it's on.  I don't know about you, but I read about a show in one of the quilting magazines and think that I'd like to go and then before I know it the date has been and gone.  I think that I may set up a page on my website of exhibitions and places of interest for quilters to visit - not just in the UK but anywhere.

I've added a tutorial for a Balkan Puzzle quilt to the website. I used a fairly random selection of fabrics and was really pleased at how well the colours went together.  I've always been a sucker for blue fabrics and seem to manage to work blue into a lot of my quilts, but this quilt made me realise that I should venture out of my comfort zone more often.


And I had a similar feeling when I made a simple nine patch quilt to showcase a flying geese quilt border:  not only was I using colours that I hadn't put together before, but I realised that nine patch quilts have enormous possibilities and are incredibly easy to put together once you have decided on your colour combinations.  The flying geese border was speed pieced and that made it quite easy to put together.



 One major piece of news was having my jelly roll quilt pattern published by Moda Bakeshop. I love the Moda fabric range and am thrilled to be able to use the 'as featured on Moda Bakeshop' logo. The tutorial for that quilt is on a previous post on this blog.



Daughter Samantha has finished her exchange year at the University of Arizona and is travelling with a friend for a few weeks before returning to the UK.  She is currently in Mexico with food poisoning and a blocked credit card so I shall be relieved when she returns home safely next week.

Thanks for visiting my blog.  I'll be back far more regularly with quilting news now.
Post a Comment