Friday, 12 August 2011

Festival of Quilts 2011

Yesterday I spent a wonderful day at the Festival of Quilts at the NEC in Birmingham.  I was surrounded by quilts, by people who like quilts and by people who wanted to sell me quilt fabric and quilting accessories.  The really satisfying part was that in my mind I was able to classify it as work or research or something and so I gave myself a completely guilt free day soaking up quilts.



There were hundreds of quilts hanging in the exhibition area, divided into the expected categories of traditional, art, picture, contemporary and such like.  There was a youth section and a quilted creations section where there were some seriously yummy looking cakes made from fabric and a delightful carousel.  So much talent!

It was difficult to get round all the quilting stalls - there were just so many of them.  I was trying to keep a rein on my spending but one item that I bought that I can't wait to try out is a curve master presser foot.  It came as a festival pack with a stiletto for holding fabric in place under the needle and a seam roller.  The demonstration of how easy it made sewing a drunkard's path quilt block was awesome so that's definitely going to be one of my next quilts.


I bought some silk for a Liberty quilt that's brewing in my mind and then when I came home I had to look up more information about silk which was really fascinating.  I'll write it up for this blog within the next few days.  The main thing that I brought back from the Festival, though, was enthusiasm and inspiration.  What an amazing day!

Thanks for calling by my blog.  Hope to see you again soon.
Post a Comment