Sunday, 4 September 2011

Oh what a week.  I was asked to make a quilt 10' by 7' from some very textured (but absolutely beautiful) curtain fabric.  What could go wrong?  The most difficult part would be matching the pattern where I joined the sections of fabric and then it would be plain sailing.  If only .....  The fabric was so heavy that somehow I managed to stretch it slightly even though I was being really careful.  The only solution was an awful lot of hand quilting which took me most of the week.  Luckily the customer was thrilled with it, but I don't think that I'll take on a commission like that again.

Well, we're into September now and although the weather has been absolutely beautiful here in Shropshire I decided that I must start thinking about autumn colours.  I managed to find a quilt block called autumn tints so I thought that would be a good start.




It's fairly easy to make because the four corner units are the same as each other and they are joined by sashing with a brown square in the middle.

I made it initially with some fairly boring fabric but I think when I make it to go into a quilt I'll make full use of all the gorgeous fabrics that have the full range of autumn colours.


I mentioned the crumb quilt tutorial in a recent post and I put it on the website a week or so back.  I used nine patch units between the crumb quilt blocks to separate them out a bit and it worked quite well, so I thought that I would post the video here in case you'd like to see it.  It's such an amazingly simple way of using up fabric scraps that I can see myself making many more of them!





I have been harvesting the lavender in my garden and I saw a really neat idea for lavender bags in town last week.  I'm usually fairly predictable and make lavender bags in squares or hearts, but these ones were in the shape of animals and they would make gorgeous Christmas presents.   Oh dear, another thing to add to my to do list.

Thanks for visiting my blog.  Hope to see you again soon.

Post a Comment