Thursday, 24 November 2011

Liberty and Silk Quilt

Sometimes quilts that I see in my mind don't look the same when they are on the worktable, but this Liberty and silk quilt has turned out just as I had hoped.

I had some Shells Liberty fabric left from a visit to London last year and it's so pretty that I didn't want to cut it up too much.  I decided to alternate 6.1/2" squares of the Shells with squares of silk.  I've used an ivory silk and a chocolate silk together and I'm really pleased with it.



To make the silk squares I began with a 2.1/2" square in the ivory and sewed a 2.1/2" chocolate square to two opposite edges of the ivory square.  Then it was simply a case of adding a 6.1/2" by 2.1/2" strip down each side.

I used 49 quilt blocks to make seven rows of seven squares, alternating the Liberty and silk squares to make a quilt that was 46" square after I had added a 2.1/2" silk border to it.




The only thing that I did find while making this quilt was that I needed to add the binding before I quilted it.  Probably terribly frowned upon, but the silk frayed so much that I decided that I was going to have a very narrow border unless I bound it straight away.

Of course, now there's the dilemma:  do I keep it, sell it or give it away?





Thanks for visiting my blog.  Hope to see you again soon.
Post a Comment