Sunday, 20 November 2011

Three Baby Quilts

Three baby quilts in a week and I still managed to walk the dog!

The first two baby quilts were commissioned.  This one was a number quilt using Fabric Freedom's Jungle Fun fabric.  One of those fabrics that's really bright and cheerful and could do for a boy or girl baby.  I used the same fabric for the backing and hope that it will be a quilt that gets used a lot.





The second one was also a number quilt but this one was in Magic Cats fabric.  It's definitely more blue than anything but has so many other colours in that again I hope it's one that could be for either a boy or a girl baby.  I love making baby quilts because they come together so quickly.  These two would have been really easy to machine quilt as they are only 30" square, but in fact I hand quilted them, outlining the numbers, because I find hand quilting so relaxing.



The third quilt was a complete change of technique.  I had been asked for instructions for a jelly roll quilt that would make up small enough to be counted as a baby quilt.  I decided to use one of the stripper rolls which are about half the size of jelly rolls - the one that I used contained twenty strips of fabric so I had to add one strip of fabric from my stash so that I could sew together seven panels of three strips each.

The finished size was about 43" square so still small enough to count as a baby quilt.  As you can see, this one hasn't been layered and bound yet.  Well there just aren't enough hours in the day!

Here are the video instructions if you would like to see how it was made:



Now I seem to have caught up with myself and I am going to indulge in a quilt that I have been wanting to make for a long time but just couldn't find the time.  It's using some Liberty fabric that I bought last time I was in London.  I think I want to team it with silk but I shall spend today happily playing with options to find the quilt that suits the fabric.  But first I had better walk the dog ......

Thanks for visiting my blog.  Hope to see you again soon.
Post a Comment