Wednesday, 14 December 2011

Continuous Bias Binding

Usually I try and avoid using bias binding because it takes longer to make than normal folded straight grain binding,  But there is a way of making continuous bias binding for quilts which is terribly easy once you've got your head around the instructions.  I used a 21" by 12" rectangle because I had one hanging around to show you, but it could be any size.  One small seam and I ended up with around 70" of 2" bias binding.


I placed the fabric rectangle with wrong side up and lined up the 45 degree line of my ruler with the bottom edge of the fabric.  Starting in the bottom left corner I drew lines 2" apart until I reached the top right corner.




Cut off the excess triangles to either side of the lines and put to one side.  Turn the fabric so that it's right side up and fold the bottom up so that the first line of one side of the fabric matches with the second line of the other side.  Pin across the line so that the bottom and top edges are lined up but with a flap at each end.


Sew across this seam then begin cutting along the line.  You will find that it's a continuous line and you will end up with a long length of bias binding.  I have to admit that this is one technique that is almost impossible to describe clearly so I've added the video below to clarify the instructions.







Well, I've written my Christmas cards - not posted yet, but at least I've made a start.  My brother and sister in law are visiting on Friday and I know exactly what type of bag I want to make for my sister in law:  I just hope that I can get my ideas onto the cutting mat in time.

Thanks for visiting my blog.  I hope to see you again soon.
Post a Comment