Saturday, 24 December 2011

Crossword Puzzle Quilt Block

I've had several requests recently for fat quarter quilt ideas.  I know that my sewing machine has to go away while everyone's home for Christmas, but I thought that I would risk one more project before I tidy all my sewing gear away.  The crossword puzzle quilt block is one of those enormous blocks that are great to make because you only need a few to make a decent sized quilt.  It also fits the bill for a fat quarter quilt as it can be made from three fat quarters with a little left over that can be used in the binding.

The block can be sewn in three sections.  The top five and bottom five rows are the same as each other.  They each have a 4.1/2" white square at each end of the first row and a 6.1/2" white square in the middle of the first row.  Everywhere else are 2.1/2" squares.  The photo on the left shows the whole top section and the photo on the right shows half of the top section so that you can get a closer look at the placement of the squares.  It's one of those quilt blocks where it's quite easy to misplace the squares if you're not concentrating.  Make two of these panels.


The middle section is made using a 4.1/2" by 6.1/2" rectangle at each end and 2.1/2" squares everywhere else.  As you can see, it's possible to use either 6.1/2" by 2.1/2" white rectangles or three 2.1/2" white squares above and below that white/red/white strip in the middle.  The photo on the left shows half of the panel and the photo on the right shows the full panel.

When the three panels are complete, just sew them together as shown.  It's a really eyecatching design and very simple to make - not a triangle in sight!  I think that to continue the fat quarter theme I'll probably use different colours for a few more blocks, perhaps just keeping the white to give some continuity throughout the quilt.  Each block is 26" square so you could make a 52" by 78" quilt with only six blocks.


And now I really must tidy the sewing machine and general sewing clutter out the way.

I hope that you all have a marvellous Christmas and a very Happy New Year.

Thanks for visiting my blog.  Look forward to seeing you again.

Rose
Post a Comment