Sunday, 11 December 2011

William Morris Quilt

William Morris was a 19th century textile designer, artist and writer who had a great influence on the English Arts and Crafts Movement.  His designs included lots of flowers and are truly beautiful.  Fabric Freedom has a range of William Morris fabrics which make beautiful quilts and this quilt is my simplified version of one of the Fabric Freedom quilts.




It's a really simple design with the only quilt blocks being a star and a half square triangle unit.  These are sewn together and then by placing the stars diagonally under each other you can get diagonal lines of the different colours of stars.



Altogether I used five different fabrics to give the shading effect along the diagonal rows and I was really pleased with the way it turned out.  As you can see I sewed the quilt blocks together into fours using the different coloured stars and then the quilt came together really quickly.




Here's the video to show you the constructrion in more detail.




The rest of the week seems to have passed in a blur of trying to get ready for the children coming home for Christmas.  My fabric stash is going to need some serious tidying in order to clear the beds in time.

I am experimenting with the idea of selling patterns in dvd form, but so far the technology seems to be beyond me.  When I put a dvd in the computer and then the computer keeps asking me to put a dvd in I find myself shouting at it:  'What do you think I have just done!'.  Luckily no one else in the house to hear me!

I have found a rather lovely quilt block called Georgia which I have started to make up (also in William Morris fabric) and I think it's going to have quite a striking look when I have more of them made up. 
More details on free quilt patterns.





Thanks for visiting my blog.  Hope to see you again soon.
Post a Comment