Saturday, 28 January 2012

Patchwork Place Mats

Patchwork place mats are so simple to make but they really brighten up the dining table.  I've made these place mats 16.1/2" by 12.1/2" and they haven't taken up much time or much fabric.  I can't decide now whether to make a set for myself or for a gift!




Each placemat is made using eight half square triangle units.  I used 2.7/8" squares for these and made them by placing two squares right sides together and sewing either side of the diagonal.  The rest of the placemat is made using strips of fabric 2.1/2" by 8.1/2".


I made two blocks and placed the second one upside down beside the first one.  That was all that I had planned for the patchwork placemat, but it looked out of proportion so I added a strip of white fabric to the top and the bottom. After pressing it was just a case of layering the backing fabric, batting and patchwork top.  I did a tiny bit of stitch in the ditch quilting - not much required on something as small as this - and then sewed on the binding as for a quilt.


I've started working on a coffee cup bag which I was asked for ages ago.  I've done what I thought would be the difficult bit - designing a coffe cup block - but I seem to be struggling to get the proportions right for the bag itself.  Oh well, I'll show you when I've finished it.

Thanks for visiting my blog.
Hope to see you again soon.
Best Wishes
Rose
Post a Comment