Monday, 13 February 2012

Reversible Sewing Machine Cover Tutorial

What a productive weekend I had.  The workshop that I was going to was cancelled on Saturday because the roads were so slippy so I decided to make the sewing machine cover that I've been promising myself for ages.

When I looked around for ideas I found that most sewing machine covers are for dust protection only so they are made from a single fabric.  I wanted something a little more substantial that would also protect against accidental knocks so I decided to make a sewing machine cover with three layers including batting.  Then I decided to rag the seams so that the sewing machine cover would be reversible, and I'm really pleased with the way it turned out.

The first thing I had to do was measure my sewing machine.  Mine is 16" wide (from side to side), 12" high (from the work surface to the highest point of the machine and 8" deep (from front to back at its widest point).

The sewing machine cover that I have designed has a panel at each side of the sewing machine and one panel going up the front, across the top and down the back of the machine.

For this I needed two rectangles of each fabric 9" by 13" and one rectangle of each fabric 33" by 17".  For the batting I needed two rectangles 8" by 12" and one rectangle 32" by 16".  The batting is smaller than the fabric to allow for ragging the seams.


For each rectangle, lay one fabric with right side down, then the batting and then the second fabric with right side up.  Quilt the layers together.
Lay one of the small rectangles in line with one corner of the large rectangle and pin along the 13" edge.  Manipulate the fabric of the large triangle to create a corner so that you can continue pinning the next edge of the small triangle along the same edge.  Continue until three sides of the small rectangle are pinned all along one edge of the large rectangle, as shown in the right hand photo.


Sew the seams that you have just pinned using a 1/2" seam.  Snip into the seam towards the stitching with a sharp pair of small scissors, taking care not to cut the stitches.  I snipped at roughly 1/8" intervals.  This gives a fringe which with time (and washing) will become quite silky.


Add quilt binding as for a normal quilt and you have a sturdy sewing machine cover that can be turned whichever way you want, depending on which fabric you want to see.

It's often easier to follow on video:


Thanks for visiting my blog.
I hope to see you again soon.
Rose


Post a Comment