Saturday, 24 March 2012

Queens Crown Lap Quilt

I had a delivery of some new fabric last week and I had to make something relatively small straight away because the fabric was so pretty that I wanted to work with it.  No - the photo doesn't do it justice at all!  for the quilt pattern I decided to use the Queens Crown quilt block.  This is a 40" square lap quilt and the entire design is classified as one 5 patch quilt block.


The basic blocks are simple enough.  For the nine patch units I sewed together a panel of light, dark, light fabric and another one of light, dark, light and cut them at 2.1/2" intervals.  There are nine of them in the lap quilt, so you need eighteen of the dark, light, dark strips and nine of the light, dark, light.



Using the same panels, there are four of these 6.1/2" squares required for the lap quilt.





There are ten half square triangle units and these are made from 6.7/8" squares placed right sides together, marked along the diagonal and sewn 1/4" either side of the marked line. You'll also need four 6.1/2" squares in the dark fabric.




Lay the blocks out, sew together across the rows and then sew the rows together.  That's the Queens Crown quilt block complete. 




I used three quilt borders for this lap quilt - border one was made with 1.1/2" light fabric, border two with 3.1/2" red fabric and border three with the 1.1/2" light fabric again.

It was such an easy quilt to make and yet looks quite striking, I think.


Here's the video I made while I was making the lap quilt:



Thanks for visiting my blog.
I hope to see you again soon.
Rose
Post a Comment