Monday, 19 March 2012

Somerset Patchwork

I've had to rewrite my somerset patchwork tutorial.  I feel so embarrassed.  It worked when I was making it, but I had an email the other day pointing out that it didn't work.  I couldn't find the original cushion cover that I made so I made another one following my original tutorial and to my horror I found that it really doesn't work!


The idea of somerset patchwork is that you fold small rectangles of fabric and place them in layers starting in the middle and working outwards - hence the alternative name of folded star patchwork.  My original tutorial worked fine for the first four rounds (phew) but went badly wrong in the fifth round where I had too few folded triangles and they were the wrong size.  Apart from that .....

So, my apologies to anyone who has tried to make my somerset patchwork cushion cover in the past and found it impossible to complete, and here is the video showing the correct way:



Aside from that, I had a great weekend going to the Quilter's Guild Area Day which was held a few miles south from here.  The speaker was Gwenfai Rees Griffiths and she was absolutely superb.  What an amazing quilter.  It was wonderful to be able to look closely at her quilts afterwards.  Her quilting is so detailed that I could only sigh with envy.  I am really going to start working hard on my quilting.

Thanks for visiting my blog.
I hope to see you again soon.
Rose


Post a Comment