Tuesday, 15 May 2012

Diamond Plaid Quilt Block

I've started making a small quilt from Nancy Cabot's diamond plaid quilt block.  I've changed the colours completely and rather like the way the blue stands out so well from the other two colours.  I've used 2.1/2" squares (with 2.7/8" squares for the few half square triangle units) and that makes it an 18" finished size block as it's a nine patch block.



I made four blocks, fully intending to add a blue sashing with black cornerstones so that each block could stand alone, but now that I've put them together I think that sashing would spoil the patterns forming with the black squares.  I keep going back to look at it, but I think that the only way that I'm going to decide is by cutting a length of fabric for the sashing and pinning that up to see how it looks.

Last weekend I went to a lovely messy workshop based on printing on fabric.  I've always rather felt that I'm not artistic enough to consider printing my own fabric given that there are so many gorgeous fabrics around, but I was hooked by the end of the day.  This fabric was made using a potato print - something I haven't done since my children were tiny tots.  We made one smallish square design on a potato and then printed and rotated it four times so that a circular design began to show.  As you can see, I wasn't bright enough to rotate it correctly in the top right section so I lost the design a bit, but it was certainly great fun.

We then did something similar but with metallic paint.  I think I can certainly see this technique being used again at Christmas - what an amazing way to add to Christmas designs, making them really unique.




As ever, linking up to Lee:
Grab a button:

Thanks for visiting my blog.
Hope to see you again soon.
Rose
Post a Comment