Sunday, 6 May 2012

Radstock Quilt Exhibition

Yesterday I made the delightful trip to Radstock near Bath to visit a quilting exhibition held at the Radstock Museum.  There were loads of exquisitie quilts on display but special mention has to go to the quilt made by the Queen's Midwife.  That obviously gives it a value in its own right, but the fabrics used in the quilt were really beautiful - silks and satins donated to her as she travelled amongst her pregnant clients.  What a wonderful memory quilt it must have been for her.  The exhibition is organised by Midsomer Quilting and is on till the end of May.  It is well worth a visit if you live anywhere near the southwest of England.



My own offerings always seem so mundane by comparison with those that I see at exhibitions.  I've made a baby quilt because I wanted to have something simple and with lots of clear spaces for my first article on machine quilting which will be going out later this week.  This one is made using Jungle Fun for the dark fabric.  It's broadly a green fabric so that it can be used for a boy or a girl baby and it's made almost entirely from half square triangles.


As you can see there are a few white squares in among the half square triangles.  These were mainly used to open up the white spaces for quilting, but I think that by surrounding the line of dark squares in the middle like that they give the opportunity for the middle column of dark squares to be made from fussy cut baby fabrics or even photos.  I have used six squares on each side and the whole of the rest of the baby quilt is made using fifty two half square triangle units.  I then used 3.1/2" strips of light fabric to make a binding - two strips at 32.1\2" for the top and bottom and two strips at 38.1/2" for the sides.

I have also begun experimenting with a lovely patchwork quilt block by  the Kansas City Star called Hopscotch.  I think that it's going to look great when made up as a quilt so now I just have to get more of them made.



Thanks for visiting my blog.
I hope to see you again soon.
Rose

Post a Comment