Sunday, 20 May 2012

Rosebud Pinwheel Quilt

After several late night sessions I managed to finish my rosebud
pinwheel quilt and send the details out in a newsletter.  I was really pleased with all the extra designs that started to show up as soon as I started to sew the quilt blocks together.  You can click here for full instructions with video.



I had a lovely day at Malvern quilt show on Thursday.  I managed to avoid buying any more fabric to add to my stash, but I did pick up a great curvy ruler so I'm looking forward to trying that out.  As ever, there were some lovely quilts on display.

I came across a great quilt block which I thought would stand alone nicely as a patchwork placemat - although I'm sure that it would make a great quilt as well.  I used 2" squares so that it finishes at 12" square.




To make this placemat I used fourteen 2.1/2" squares in both the red and the grey and four 2.7/8" squares in both fabrics to make the half square triangle units.  After making the half square triangles and laying everything out as in the photo, I layered, quilted and bound it as for any quilt.  I think it makes quite a striking placemat.


I also started messing around with tumbler blocks.  I've never been a great fan because I couldn't see that there was much that you could do with them, but once I started I realised that you could add interest to a tumbler quilt by varying the fabrics within each tumbler block.  I managed seven fabrics in one block using 1" strips and decided that it was definitely worth thinking about a full sized tumbler quilt one day.

Thanks for visiting my blog.
I hope to see you again soon.
Rose
Post a Comment