Tuesday, 26 June 2012

Dutchmans Puzzle Quilt Block

The work in progress that I'm frantically trying to finish this week is this irish chain medallion quilt.  It's one of those really simple projects that has gone together really well.  The holdup has been with my finding the time rather than the quilt itself.

Yesterday I fetched my daughter Samantha from Nottingham - she has finished at the university and is home for some of the summer before starting work in the autumn.  This really is the end of an era, with all the children launched in their careers.  It's lovely to have her back for a while, but of course that meant that I had to remove all my spare fabric, unifinished quilts and more from her room.  It took so much longer to empty her room than it did to fill it ...

I did have time for a quick play with this dutchmans puzzle quilt block.  I thought that it was all half square triangles until I found a gap in the layout and realised that there are four squares just diagonally in from each corner.  I made it using 4.7/8" squares for the half square triangles and 4.1/2" squares for the plain lilac squares.


The main reason that I wanted to try this quilt block out was to see what happened when several of them were sewn together.  As you can see, blue stars form where the blocks meet to alternate with the yellow squares.  I think that I might try it again with a white background and lots of different fabrics for the stars - might make a good stashbuster quilt.


Linking up to freshly pieced as ever:

Grab a button:

Thanks for visiting my blog.
I hope to see you again soon.
Rose

Post a Comment