Sunday, 10 June 2012

Elephant Wall Hanging

Isn't this guy gorgeous!  I'm so pleased with the way he turned out.  He's just straightforward patchwork - squares and half square triangles.  I happened to have a sort of blue/ grey fabric that had a bit of direction to it so by rotating the grey blocks I was able to get a mottled effect for his skin.  I'm going to put a bright border on this and I think it would make a great wall hanging for a child's bedroom.  When I've finished I'll put full instructions on the website.

If you read my last post, you'll know that I was struggling with the Lady of the Lake quilt block.  It looked so simple, using just two different sizes of half square triangles, but I must have been brain dead that day because I could not sew the small half square triangles on the right way to create the flying geese.  Anyway, you'll be pleased to hear that I finally managed it and I've made four more blocks like this so that I can make them into a 40" lap quilt.

I've also made a simplified double star to use as a table centrepiece.  The usual one seems to be a bit shorter and fatter, but the one I made was terribly simple - again it was just squares and half square triangles.




As you can see, there are six rows of six blocks.  It's made using eight 4.1/2" white squares, eight blue/white half square triangles, eight red/white half square triangles and eight red/blue half square triangles.  I used the red fabric for the binding but I think now that I should have put a simple border on it as well.  I like plain and simple, but I think this one is perhaps too simple.

Thanks for visiting my blog. 
I hope to see you again soon.
Rose




Post a Comment