Wednesday, 6 June 2012

Lady Of The Lake Quilt

This quilt shouldn't be a work in progress - by now I should have completed the quilt top, layered it and decided how I'm going to quilt it.  As it is, I have two completed quilt blocks ........

The quilt block itself is called Lady of the Lake which was what first caught my eye:  what a wonderful name.  When I looked a little further I found several blocks with that name, all completely different from each other.  I like mine for now - although I may of course ending up making some of the others as well.

  The block itself is dead easy.  All it takes it a half square triangle unit made from a 6.7/8" square and sixteen half square triangle units made from 2.7/8" squares.  Yes, it is a lot of half square triangles to make, but once you set up a production line it doesn't take too long.  Sew three small half square triangles together for the top and bottom and then add two strips of five half square triangles to the sides.  I used four different fabrics and thought that I had got it nailed so I went to autopilot.  That of course was a major mistake.

When I put four of the Lady of the Lake quilt blocks together I wanted to find the two blue fabrics making a square in a square pattern and the smaller triangles joining up to form flying geese.  I managed the square in the square but not the flying geese.



Re arranging the blocks gave me the flying geese but not the square in square.  The only option now is to unpick the small half square triangles and sew them back together while paying more attention to what I'm doing.  That's why I only have two blocks complete, fourteen to go.




My other work in progress is a rag quilt which is proceeding more satisfyingly than the lady of the lake.  I've used my Accuquilt to cut the squares so that I won't have all that snipping of seams to do at the end.  The fringes are precut by the Accuquilt and I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out as they are longer fringes than I normally use for rag quilts.

Linking up to Lee at Freshly Pieced as usual:

Grab a button:

Thanks for visiting my blog.
I hope to see you again soon.
Rose
Post a Comment