Sunday, 17 June 2012

Swing Quilt

Once again I've made a quilt that doesn't look anything like I thought it would look!  I've used the Swing in the Centre quilt block - well that's the Nancy Cabot name for it but it goes by many other names.




This is the individual quilt block so I was expecting the white circular bit in the middle to form the dominant pattern.  Of course I should have realised that the dark fabric in the corners would combine with the corners of adjacent blocks when several were sewn together.



As you can see, the quilt block is easy enough to construct.  I've made it using 4.1/2" squares with 4.7/8" squares for the half square triangles.  I used four blocks to make a quilt 48" square and I haven't decided yet whether to add a quilt border or not.  I'll put full instructions on the website later this week.  Oh yes, and the two pink half square triangles at the bottom of the block are facing the wrong way.  Luckily I realised this before I sewed it all together.

The other quilt that I'm still working on was made using the Jefferson City quilt block.  Not sure about this one.  I made four blocks and when I was sewing them together I rotated them to make a pinwheel in the middle.  Now I think it looks a bit incoherent.  Perhaps I should have placed all four blocks facing the same way as each other.  Oh well, put it down to experience!

Thanks for visiting my blog.
I hope to see you again soon.
Rose














Post a Comment