Tuesday, 24 July 2012

Silver Lane Quilt Block

I'm quite excited about this quilt block.  It's called silver lane and I can see it making a wonderful grid with the dark blue lines when it's made into a quilt.  I've made it here with four shades of blue and a white background but I think that when I make more for a quilt I'll vary at least the pinwheel colours if not all three of the blues apart from the dark.  Could make a great scrappy quilt.


To make it as a 12" finished size block you need four 2.1/2" squares in light blue and white and eight in medium blue.  The rest of the block is made using 2.7/8" squares to make half square triangles:  four each in light blue and dark blue, four each in dark blue and white and two each in sky blue and white.  Then it's just a case of following the photo for placement.

I hate doing this so early in the year, but this week I have put in an order for some Christmas fabric - all the Christmas in July articles that I've been reading have made me realise that if you're handcrafting your gifts you need to start early.  Gone are the days when the children were small and we didn't anticipate Christmas till December 1st so that they wouldn't get over excited.

I've continued working on my weather vane and steeple quilt.  I've corrected the mistake on the top right where I put one row in upside down and now I'm going to use the same design at the top and bottom to go down the sides.  I'm quite pleased with the way the design has turned out - simple but effective.  More photos when it's progressed to a nearly finished project.


Linking up as usual to the Freshly Pieced blog:

Grab a button:

Thanks for visiting my blog.
I hope to see you again soon.
Rose
Post a Comment