Friday, 21 September 2012

Nosegay Quilted Wall Hanging

I've made this wall hanging using Nancy Cabot's nosegay quilt block and I think it's quite effective.  It's 16" square and as you can see it's dead easy to make.  You'll need twenty 2.1/2" light squares, sixteen 2.1/2" dark and one white 4.1/2" square.  For the points of the star you'll need four rectangles 6.7/8" by 2.7/8" in both light and white fabrics.


The nine patch units in the corners are made using the light and dark squares only.  If I was making a whole quilt with this block I would sew together 2.1/2" strips of light and dark fabric, but as there's only one block I used individual squares and sewed them together across the rows and then sewed the rows together.


The rectangles for the points of the star need to be cut along one diagonal to give two triangles.





Sew together a white and a light blue triangle to make a rectangle.  You'll need two of these for each point of the star.





Lay the patches out with a nine patch in each corner and the star points between them, all round the white 4.1.2" square in the centre.  Sew together across each row and then sew the rows together.  Layer, quilt and bind as for a quilt.  I planned this as a wall hanging but haven't got round to adding a hanging sleeve yet.


I've been working all week on a quilt as you go project with sashing because I'd had so many emails asking for tips on keeping the sashing lined up from one block to the next.  I've just posted the pattern on the website as a star quilt pattern with quilt as you go.



Thanks for visiting my blog.
I hope to see you again soon.
Rose
Post a Comment