Wednesday, 9 January 2013

INDIAN MAT QUILT BLOCK PATTERN

INDIAN MAT QUILT BLOCK PATTERN


Isn't this an unusual quilt block?  I love those white triangles in two of the corners.  It's called the Indian Mat quilt block and it's a nine patch from Nancy Cabot.




I've made it as 12" block using the following fabric:

four 2.7/8" squares each of purple and white
two 2.7/8" squares each of purple and lilac
2.1/2" squares:  nine white, five purple and ten lilac.


Use all the 2.7/8" squares to make half square triangles in the proportions listed above.  Once these have been made, lay the squares out in six rows of six squares.  I could have used larger squares - for example one 4.1/2" lilac square instead of four 2.1/2" squares - but I'm trying to use up fabric from stash and I have way more 2.1/2" squares than larger ones.



Sew the squares together across each row and then sew the rows together.  This is a terribly straightforward quilt block to make, but I think it's a really unusual looking one.




I'm on a roll now with my block of the month signups.  Usually I don't think about them until later in the year but I seem to be a little more organised this year (so far!).  I've signed up for the Craftsy programme and for another one making foundation pieced stars.  I'll give you full details of them once I have completed the January blocks for both of them.

Thanks for visiting my blog.
I hope to see you again soon.
Best Wishes
Rose
Post a Comment