Sunday, 20 January 2013

Interlocked Squares Quilt Block

QUILT BLOCK PATTERNS - INTERLOCKING SQUARES




The interlocking squares quilt block is a four patch block that has a three dimensional effect.   It is so simple to make those pink frames look inter twined and there are all sorts of options for it - you could put a pinwheel or a photo in the middle or even a small star.

I've made it here as a 16" block using four colours plus white.


Fabric Requirements


2.7/8" squares:  four each in light pink/dark blue, two each in light blue/dark pink, two each in light blue/light pink, two each in light pink/white and two each in dark pink/light pink.

2.1/2" squares:  twelve dark blue, four light blue, four dark pink, four white

4.1/2" by 2.1/2" rectangles:  four white and four dark blue.

Making the block


Make all the 2.7/8" squares into half square triangles and then lay the squares out in eight rows of eight.  The white rectangles are in the middle of the square and the blue rectangles are in the top and bottom rows.  I've used blue squares rather than rectangles in rows two to seven so that the squares could be sewn together easily in rows.



I think that the layout shows up better when you see the first four rows sewn together.  The dark pink squares are placed together as one half square triangle, one square, one triangle.  It doesn't show up so well in the second row because the dark pink is a batik and the colour was much lighter in the right hand half square triangle.  The second four rows are the same as the first four rows but upside down.  Sew the squares together across each row and then sew the rows together.

It really is a very simple quilt block pattern and I can see it being very useful.

Other Quilting



 I've been working on a paper pieced quilted wall hanging this week.  I'm really excited about how it's turning out, but I think that I will have to make it at least one more time before I feel confident enough to write a tutorial on it.




I've also decided to join in with the Quilting Board block of the month.  This is the January block, called Whirling Star 2.  It's just so pretty, but it does have inset seams which slow the construction down a little.





Thanks for visiting my blog.
I hope to see you again soon.
Best Wishes
Rose

Post a Comment