Wednesday, 20 March 2013

World Textile Day

Minerva World Textile Day


On Saturday I went to the Minerva Centre in Llanidloes, mid Wales, for their World Textile Day exhibition.  Minerva is the home of the Quilt Association and they put on some amazing quilt exhibitions.  I read the title wrong - I thought that I was going to the world (textile day), meaning one textile day for the world.  In fact, what they had was a (world textile) day, meaning an event showcasing textiles from all over the world.  It is one of many throughout the country on different dates.  There were some really beautiful handwoven and hand dyed fabrics on display with lots of information about how the textiles were made.  All in all a thoroughly enjoyable and interesting display.

Storm at sea quilt block


Back home and I am trying to finish quilts from my UFO pile, but I can't seem to stop myself from starting new projects as well.  I have begun a storm at sea project which was going to be a quilt but I think that I would be better settling for a wall hanging, using far fewer quilt blocks.  I am trying to show that storm at sea can be made without having to buy templates, but I think perhaps I should have just bought the template.  We'll see.


Quilting log cabins


I've also been experimenting with different ways of quilting log cabins.  Last week's newsletter project was a log cabin star quilt, and I'd like to quilt it sooner rather than later.  I've tried using random circles on one log cabin quilt, but I do definitely feel that feathers would look great.  You can see the circles quilting on the log cabin shown on the left.


Thanks for visiting my blog.
Hope to see you again soon.
Best Wishes
Rose
Post a Comment