Monday, 20 May 2013

CARPENTERS WHEEL QUILT BLOCK PATTERN

There are several different quilt blocks with a fairly similar layout to the Carpenters Wheel quilt block and they make really striking blocks.  They are technically very simple to make, using only squares and half square triangles, but you have to keep your wits about you when you lay the patchwork pieces out in the first place.  It's terribly easy to place one of the half square triangles facing in the wrong direction.

To make it as a 16" quilt block you need four 2.1/2" green squares for the corners.  The twelve 2.1/2" white squares are placed on each side of the corner squares and also in the corners of the central star.  The rest of the block is made using half square triangles:  sixteen pink/green, sixteen green/white and sixteen pink/white.


I've shown the first four rows in the photo above and the lower four rows on the left.  It's a lovely quilt block, isn't it?





I'm thinking of taking a stall at a craft fair later in the summer so I have begun making smaller items so that I'll have a range of items on the stall - things like bags and mug rugs.  I'm also attempting to reduce my unfinished quilts pile, but I don't suppose that I will ever clear that!

As it's Monday, I'm linking up to Stitch by Stitch:

Stitch by Stitch

Thanks for visiting my blog.
Hope to see you again soon.
Rose
Post a Comment