Monday, 13 May 2013

DUCK AND DUCKLINGS QUILT BLOCK

Don't you just love the name - duck and ducklings quilt block.  Actually it goes under several names - it's also called Aunt Kate's choice with this colouring, and it is very similar to a whole raft of quilt blocks:  monkey wrench, wild goose chase and whirling five patch to name a few.

To make it as a 10" quilt block, you'll need 2.1/2" squares:  nine blue and four white, together with six 2.7/8" squares in both blue and white for the half square triangles.  After you have made the half square triangles, the patches are simply laid out in five rows of five and sewn together across the rows.  It is classified as a five patch, not as common as the four or nine patch blocks.


I have started work early on the quilt for Friday's email because I am heading down to London on Thursday to meet up with my daughter Samantha and to visit the craft exhibition in the Liberty store - probably one of my favourite shops, even if I can't afford to buy anything there!  The quilt is a square and star design, but I created a few hearts when I added the border.  I'd like to say it was planned, but I didn't even notice them at first!



As soon as that is finished I shall return to my star border and try to get that finished this week.  As it's Monday I'm linking up with Marelize over at Stitch by Stitch.

Stitch by Stitch




Thanks for visiting my blog.
Hope to see you again soon.
Rose
Post a Comment