Sunday, 26 May 2013

SAILBOAT QUILT BLOCK

The sailboat quilt block is bright and cheerful and seemed appropriate on this our third consecutive day of sunshine.  If only the sunshine would last!  I've made two of the blocks and now I just have to decide whether to sew them together and call it a mug rug or finish them individually as coasters.

The sails are made from 4.7/8" squares of yellow and white.  I've used two different yellows.  The half square triangles are made two at a time which is why I made two blocks.  The half square triangles for the ends of the boat are made using 2.7/8" squares of brown and white.







All you need now are brown rectangles 2.1/2" by 4.1/2" and blue rectangles 2.1/2" by 8.1/2" to complete the block.  Sew the patchwork pieces together across the rows and then sew the rows together.  Whether I sew the blocks together or finish them individually I think I'll use a red binding to keep the whole thing bright and cheerful.





I don't often buy quilt panels but I couldn't resist this hungry caterpillar panel.  The book was a favourite with my children and I think that I still have a copy of it somewhere.  I can't wait to start putting it together.








Linking up with Marelize as it's Monday.

Stitch by Stitch
Thanks for visiting my blog.
Hope to see you again soon.
Rose
Post a Comment