Sunday, 9 June 2013

DOUBLE STAR FINISHED

Where did this week go?  I see that I have only blogged once this week.  So, what I have been working on?   I finished the double star quilt block which I have made into a wall hanging.  I loved doing the quilting - so much space!

I used a dark thread to stitch in the ditch on all the dark star shapes and then I changed to my favourite all round quilting thread - Aurifil Mako ne 50/2.  I use this for piecing and for quilting because it's such a lovely smooth thread and gives brilliant results.  Perhaps I should whisper this - it's also much easier to unpick than some threads because it's so smooth - not that I would want you t think that I spend much time unpicking!  I quilted a flower shape in all the smaller white spaces and then a feather wreath in the corners.

Now I have started quilting the Bethlehem Star quilt.  So far this is all straight lines, but I am using my darning foot so that I don't have to swivel the quilt with every change of direction.  This one is going to take quite a lot longer than the double star did.





I was sent some photos of two vintage quilts and asked to identify the quilt blocks used.  The first one was the Crosses and losses quilt block - simple to make and very versatile,   The second one is also a simple block but it is made with diamonds and I want to try and see how similar I can make it using squares instead.




Thanks for visiting my blog.
Hope to see you again soon.
Rose
Post a Comment