Friday, 6 September 2013

AURIFIL BOM SEPTEMBER 2013

I decided to make this month's Aurifil block of the month using scrap fabrics.  I spent so long hunting around to find scraps the right size that it would have been much easier just to cut the fabric from new.  Isn't it amazing how a very quiet pink has ended up dominating the block.

August was such a busy month that I am really enjoying being able to draw breath now and catch up on a few things.  The quilt above was my entry in the Festival of Quilts early in August.  I used a variation on the Bethlehem star block for the main bulk of the quilt top and then used a paper pieced star for the border.  I spent forever on it and it still ended up looking quite ordinary compared with so many stunning quilts that were on display.  Oh well, there's always next year.

I didn't manage to bring out a pattern for Christmas in July, but I did manage to do one just before the end of August.  This is going to be my table cloth on Christmas day so now I must decide how to quilt it so that it doesn't end up being a last minute rush.  I have used a Christmas bows block and then designed a simple Christmas tree quilt block for the border.

This week's project was quite a surprise - I began with a broad idea of what I wanted to achieve but had to make up the details as I went along.  Certainly not the way that I would usually work, but I was pleased with the result.  It's amazing what you can manage with just squares and rectangles.

And finally, for those of you who like those quilt blocks that give an optical illusion, I have written a tutorial for the Kentucky chain quilt block.  Here I was using scraps again, as for the Aurifil block at the top, so that's why some of the blues look slightly different from each other.

Thanks for visiting my blog.
I hope to see you again soon.
Rose
Post a Comment