Wednesday, 3 July 2013


Flower wall hanging in progress
Black may not be a traditional background for a flower but I am thrilled with the look of this wall hanging which is very much still a work in progress.  The one that I started at the Jennie Rayment workshop had a mountain in the middle which I have managed to avoid this time.

Detail of the flower wall hanging
I've used two different batiks for the petals, alternating them around the flower and now I am working on the hand sewing, manipulating the fabric.  As you can see, I am working my way down the right hand side and still have a fair way to go.  A lot of the edges are rolled back in the cathedral windows style and I'm using invisible thread for this.  I'm not sure that it is intended for hand sewing and it's not very easy to work with, but it does give a nice - um, invisible - finish.  I think this wall hanging is going to keep me going for a day or two yet.

Completed Hereford quilt
Before I began I had to finish a quilt for a 90th birthday present for a friend of my father.  I chose my Hereford quilt for her (very traditional colours) and I've meandered the main body of the quilt.  I used a variegated dark thread for the red and brown and then changed to a light thread for the cream sections.  Around the border I used straight line quilting in zigzags to outline all the squares and triangles.

Linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced:

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced Thanks for visiting my blog.
Hope to see you again soon.

No comments: